I had an interesting conversation with Molly Holzschlag and Ann McMeekin at the recent Geek Dinner where we discussed different approaches to blogging. Talking to them has made me wonder if I should tweak my style slightly.
Both Ann and Molly are incredibly open in their blogs. They share pretty much everything going on in their lives which must be really tough at times. I have the upmost respect for their ability to be that open and a part of my envies them.
I rarely share anything personal on this blog and to be frank you didn’t sign up for that anyway. People that are subscribed to this site and indeed my podcast are interested in web design not the inner workings of my personal world.
Of course on the other hand, the more I share of myself the better people can relate to me and understand my perspective on life. Part of the reason you trust somebody’s opinion is because you know them and understand their outlook.
I don’t think I would be capable of being as transparently honest as Molly and Ann but I would like to occasionally share a little about me personally. So with that in mind, here are 10 completely random bits of information about myself:
- I pretend that I hate being called a “web celebrity” but secretly I enjoy the attention.
- I have long since lost the ability to function without my wife Catherine around to look after me.
- I am a committed Christian but can’t be that committed as I can’t find it in my heart to like the music of Cliff Richard.
- I rarely sleep well and find it nearly impossible to stop myself mind from continually whirring.
- I have the biggest personal space of anybody I know.
- I often feel like the thick kid in the class, probably because I always used to be.
- My life often feels like a Douglas Coupland novel.
- I wish I could see the world through the eyes of my three year old son James.
- I get frustrated that I cannot attract more website owners to listen to the podcast.
- I secretly really want a mac but am too proud to admit it.
I am not sure what that all tells you about me. Nevertheless, expect the occasional more personal post. But, don’t worry it won’t become too regular.